Monday, October 7, 2013

Did mom poop? Mom did. #palindromes are awesome

I love a good palindrome.  "What's a palindrome?" you ask?  Well, let's consult Wikipedia:  "...a word, phrase, number, or other sequence...whose meaning may be interpreted the same way in either forward or reverse direction...was coined from the Greek roots palin (πάλιν; "again") and dromos (δρóμος; "way, direction") by the English writer Ben Jonson in the 17th century. The Greek phrase to describe the phenomenon ...crab inscription...alluding to the movement of crabs, such as an inscription that may be read backwards." ...Blah blah blah blah....anyway...it's a word or number that is the same forward and backward.  There's so many little easy ones that you can learn beginning in like 2nd grade....mom.....dad.....boob.....racecar....
One time in 2011 when I was on tour with the Windsor Oaks Band, I looked over and saw Ryan, deeper in thought than I have ever seen him before.  And I was like, "Dude, are you OK?" and he calmly looked up and slowly said to me "Strap Race Nude Dune Car Parts."  I thought he was going delirious from too much road time, but he followed up by explaining that sometimes he likes to sit there in silence and develop new palindromes.  
Since then, I have had a keen ear for recognizing palindromes and I've been compiling a list of awesome palindromes:
Strap race nude dune car parts.
Gun So Snug. -Ryan's favorite
Did mom poop? Mom did.
Mr. Owl ate my metal worm.
Madam, I'm Adam. (and then.... Madam, in Eden, I'm Adam.)  
Poor Dan is in a droop.
Able was I ere I saw Elba
A man a plan a canal panama
No "x" in "Nixon."
Amore, Roma
Step on no pets.
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?
Revel on no lever.

some I have found, look like made-up words:
tattarrattat 
detartrated 
Rotavator 
redivider
Malayalam, 
aibohphobia - (The irrational fear of palindromes...hehehe)

some palindromes are just short numbers or words:
2002
radar

rotor
civic
mum
noon 
toot
sees 
deed
Tit
Tot
Stats
Solos

Some involve brand names!
Lonely Tylenol
Xanax

Some people's names are palindromes!
Hannah 
Eve
Anna
Elle
Viv
Lil
Otto
Bob
Nan
Odo - (my Confirmation name (weird and archaic, I know), taken from St. Odo of Cluny)


The topic of palindromes has come up a few times in conversations since then.  And usually it's in a bar late in the evening.  So I don't totally remember all of the cool palindromes people have told me over the last few years.  If you have any more palindromes, short, long, one-word, paragraph-length, PLEASE please post them in the comments.  I am addicted to palindromes.  

This is the Ryan fellow, by the way (the guy who introduced me to the wonderful world of adult-level palindromes): 




There's also a really cool list of palindromes here: http://voices.yahoo.com/50-palindromes-list-palindrome-words-sentences-2349273.html - and some of them on this post appear in that list too.  Here's an awesome one from a comment in that post: 
Anne, I vote more cars race Rome to Vienna

(Someday I will attempt to write an entire song that is a palindrome.  That day is not today.)

No comments: